I’m a Mac user and have been using Aether for logging my contacts for several years.  I love aether.  It’s nice and clean and for the most part is very intuitive.

The trouble however started when I got my vanity call.  Aether does not know how to handle the fact that contacts prior to date XXX were made using my old call (WB7OBG) and subsequent contacts were made using my new call, K7RPM.  The only workaround I came up with was have two log files. Also, Aether seems to be unable to connect to QRZ.com for callbook access.  I give it my callsign and password and it says “Login Failed”.  I’ve manually logged in to QRZ.com with no problems.  Multiple callsigns (and certificates) is also problematic when interfacing with LotW.

A couple of days ago my frustration level was to the point I was ready to drive a marlin spike through my monitor.  I decided to look at alternatives.

So far, MacLoggerDX seems to work pretty well. The ‘two callsigns’ problem is solved with the ‘Operator’ field. MacLoggerDx’s integration with LotW is a little looser:

“MacLoggerDX supports LoTW and eQSL with Ham standard ADIF files. QSO’s can be exported by ADIF, signed (using the ARRL supplied applications) and uploaded to LoTW. MacLoggerDX also uses LoTW and eQSL ADIF confirmation files to update the QSL received status of your logged QSOs”

MacLoggerDX also seems to have no problem connecting to my Kenwood TS-590s



October 17, 2016
Categories : Stuff

I ordered a CrankIR today.  I ordered the full 80M version even though I’ll probably never operate 80M with it.

My main motivation for the CrankIR is day trips up into northern Arizona.  My Sweet Lady Wife loves to get out of the PHoenix heat in the summer.  In the fall she loves to get up into the pines and see the fall colors.  I figure that I can haul and antenna, a battery, and the TS-590 up north, operate or a few hours, and meet her needs as well.

I have a second motivation (scheming here).  I live in an HOA with antenna restrictions. But I can have a flagpole!  I have the spot picked out for the ‘flagpole’.  As a test I’ll set up the CrankIR on that spot and see how it performs.  Mostly I want to make sure that when I operate I don’t make the TV go crazy (or my neighbors’ TVs go crazy).

September 21, 2016
Categories : Antennas

I’ve started making plans for some winter antenna projects. Of course, I’m in Phoenix Arizona, so our definition of winter is “The temperature allows for outdoor activities.”

  1. Get the raingutter antenna working again.
  2. Use the long narrow strip of vacand land behind my house to erect a beverage receiving antenna.
  3. Erect an end-fed 17M dipole anenna vertically-oriented in the tree in the back yard.

I’m also designing a shortened 40M vertical that I can hang from the tree but I don’t know if I wil get that far.

July 25, 2016
Categories : Antennas


June 6, 2015
Categories : Uncategorized

Please indulge me while I walk on air for a bit.  I just finished a contact with K1N, the Navassa DXpedition.

Navassa Island is on the air for the first time in 22 years and won’t be back on the air for at least another ten.  I was determined to bag this one, even with my very modest station:

Kenwood TS-590S
Attic dipole

I figured that 10M would be my best bet.  And today little ol’ me did it.

I want to thank my fellow members of the Central Arizona DX Association. Without their help and encouragement it would not have happened.

February 11, 2015
Categories : Dreamin

The K1N Navassa expedition is going one and I’m bound and determined to put them in my logbook.

I’m just a little 100W ‘wires in the attic’ station so some scheming is in order.

I’m figuring that 10M RTTY later in the week when all the big boys already have their contact will be my best shot.

I’ve used FLDigi for PSK31 but not for RTTY so today I configured it for RTTY and made my first RTTY contact with a ham in Oregon.

February 7, 2015
Categories : Digital Modes

Yikes!  My business was so busy during 4th Quarter 2014 that I think I turned the radios on maybe once or twice.  Time to get back in the groove!

I still haven’t figured out a good way to support my VHF/UHF antenna since the wind took down my tree last fall. The replacement tree looks like it has died.  I have a couple of very nice diamond verticals but I need to camouflage them so the HOA nazis don’t see them.

I’ve erected a 17M bazooka antenna under the eaves in the back for the purpose of working some South/Central American stations, and sadly I’ve not put it to use.

Time to get back on the air!

(I’m headed to the Central Arizona DX Association meeting tonight and I’m expecting that wlil provide additional motivation.)

February 5, 2015
Categories : Dreamin

E!4KF (Ireland)
DK6WL (Germany)
SN2B (Poland)

All around 20:00Z

SN: 165


September 14, 2014
Categories : Stuff

K7RPM_QSL_Back_800wAs I logged my contact with EI4KF and reached for a QSL card to send him, I realized that I have not ordered SQL cards with my new call!

I created my QSL card using photoshop. and have OvernightPrints.com print them.  I personally think that by using a custom SQL card I get a better chance of a reply.  It also gives me the chance to become more than just a callsign.

September 14, 2014
Categories : Stuff

SInce your login username is your callsign, when you change your callsign you’ll probably want to change your LotW login username.

This web page has an online request form to do so:


August 25, 2014
Categories : Stuff